As we show you how to make your home a safe haven for the holidays are there any other potential hazards that may exist? What about that nice cozy fireplace that Santa will use to deliver presents? When was the last time you used it and even more important, when was the last time you had the chimney cleaned? Each time you use your fireplace, deposits of ash, water vapor and other debris build up within your chimney and if not cleaned out can fuel a fire in your chimney that could spread throughout your home. Be sure to keep flammable liquids and materials away from your fireplace, you don’t want to give the fire any added fuel to spread with and please avoid overloading your fire with too much wood. Keep the fire manageable. In addition here are 3 more tips for a safe fireplace.
1 – Don’t leave a fire burning in the fireplace when you go to sleep. All it takes is one little spark to create a house fire.
2 – Don’t close the flue in your fireplace until all ambers and smoke is extinguished and out. Closing it too early can cause dangerous carbon monoxide to spread throughout the house.
3 – Place all ash in a metal container, never in plastic or paper as any live ambers can burn through and create a house fire.
4 – Most important, test and make sure your carbon monoxide detector is operating.